Hackathon Highlights: Shipment Scanner3 min read
At CloudAnswers we regularly run internal hackathons. If you haven’t read about how we do this, check out our blog post: How and Why We Run Hackathons. Read on to hear about our hackathon winner from our February 5th hackathon, Avinava’s Shipment Scanner.
The hackathon theme this time was “Salesforce Spring ‘21 release.” In other words, competitors had to build a solution that used at least one feature from the new release. Avinava decided to use the new API for barcode scanning in Lightning Web Components combined with a third-party library for generating QR codes to create a better way to generate shipping labels and receive packages. Scanning is essentially a non-destructive method of identifying and inspecting any goods (items). On a broader scale, security in the commercialization of goods and services has never been more crucial. This app can be customized and plugged into any Salesforce system and makes it easier for everyone to track packages.
If you look closely at most shipping/courier services, they have their API that you can integrate to track the shipped packages. These integrated systems come as a barcode and other shipping information on the packages. With our new shipment scanner app, we want to curtail the need for manual entry of shipments received. Hence, removing errors and inconsistencies from the picture.
Processing a Shipment
To process a shipment with the app, you simply scan the packing slip that is attached to the item. If your organization is providing the shipping labels the QR code generator can be used to add an easily scannable QR code to the shipping label. Otherwise, the scanner app can be connected to the appropriate API to get details about the scanned item. Here’s an example of how it would work for a company processing returns:
- A customer requests a return
- The company generates a packing slip that has a QR code and the other necessary info such as their receiving address.
- The customer prints out the shipping label and mails the returned item.
- An employee at the receiving address opens the shipment scanner app on their device.
- They click on the scan button and point the camera at the package.
- Within a few moments, they have all the information about the item on the screen.
- They can now accept the return, submit it for processing, or whatever next actions would be appropriate for the workflow.
In the end, this scanning workflow can be used for a wide variety of applications even beyond sending and receiving shipments. We’re excited to see this scanner library available for Lightning Web Components and we hope to customize this app for some customers in the very near future.
Features of the App
- Significantly reduce the amount of time needed to accept shipments.
- Reduce costs and avoid customer issues by skipping manual data entry.
- Risk reduction for customers and sellers.
- Creates a shipping alternative that lets your business work with as many logistics companies as you desire.
- A user-friendly interface follows a step-by-step pattern that helps you focus on what to do per time.
- Scanning apps within the Salesforce apps allow companies to leverage all of their existing pages and workflows to process the shipment, notify the right parties, and update other information in the system.
If you’re interested in seeing how this could be customized for your organization, contact us, and let’s see what we can build! Here you can find the apps that we developed for Salesforce: -Report Sender -Marketing Calendar -Potential Duplicates Component -Opportunity Team Edit Override -Approval Process Reminder
Find us on AppExchange
What is Salesforce DevOps and how does it impact your organization?
Lets begin with 'DevOps' definition. It is a collection of practices that integrate software development (Dev) and operations (Ops) to help teams produce, test, and deliver software faster and more reliably. Think of developer operations like you think about sales operations, or marketing operations - it’s the tools and processes that enable the department’s work. Since its inception in 2009, the word "DevOps" has been used to describe a combination of cultural ideas, practices, and tools that strive to shorten the development life cycle and improve software quality.
June 9, 2022
11 Min Read
Salesforce Lead Nurture Campaigns
Lead nurturing is all about discovering what your customers value and then offering it to them in an automated fashion and watching their behavior to see when they are ready to purchase or get involved with sales. Lead nurturing includes identifying their needs and giving value to potential customers throughout their interactions with your organization. That is encouraging leads to stay in touch until they are ready to take the next step
June 3, 2022
5 Min Read
Tips for Becoming a Salesforce Admin
Before starting my career as a Salesforce administrator, I had never even heard of Salesforce. I was just some kid who went to a trade school and worked at Best Buy. One day my dad had told me about this software that he was working with called Salesforce. He told me how you didn't need a college degree, no schooling. All you needed was the dedication to learning the software and $200 to pass the exam.
May 19, 2022
6 Min Read